Monday 2 January 2017

NEW YEAR RESOLUTIONS

All the best in the Brand-New 2017 !!!

Mr New Year is well-known for making people to make resolutions.
Why not to get carried away and make a few promises?  
It is always worth a try.
And even if you don't meet your expectations, you'll still be a winner - 
YOU'VE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE RESOLUTIONS IN ENGLISH.


_____________________________________________________________________
Today, two ways to do that:

1. Use the phrase:
I WISH I COULD ....

Mine is: I WISH I COULD BE MORE ORGANISED. 


2. Use the phrase:
I WANT TO  (which you can shorten to I WANNA)

Mine is: I WANT TO VISIT 3 NEW COUNTRIES THIS YEAR. or
              I WANNA VISIT 3 NEW COUNTRIES THIS YEAR.
_____________________________________________________________________



Now, time for your New Year Resolutions.
Don't be hard on yourself. Make a few but let them be valuable!


If you are a teacher, you can start your first lesson in that very New Year with making e.g. a Resolution Tree with your students.
Make them familiar with the phrase - write it on the whiteboard and give them a few examples of your own plans to improve your life this year ;).
Ask them to write one resolution on a slip of paper - help with the vocabulary they need.
Tack the slips of papers to the board in the classroom e.g. in the form of a tree - you can use it later as a topic for a warm-up discussion about their progress.
You can use I WANT TO with less-advanced students and I WISH I COULD with more advanced ones.
If you like music, there is a song to listen to as a nice finish-off and here it comes:

For I WISH

For I WANT

That's it.
Get up and make your New Year Resolution come true!

No comments:

Post a Comment